Welcome To Prairie Dirt Writings

Greetings and welcome to Prairie Dirt Writings.
On this blog you will find some of my favorite writings over my 20-plus years of involvement with the dirt track racing community.
Writing is like taking a photograph. It is capturing a moment in time.
These articles, columns, reports and releases are unedited.
I hope you enjoy reading this collection as much as I enjoyed writing them.
- Greg Cybulski

Friday, November 17, 2023

Simplicity of Sharing, A 2023 Perspective/Epilogue of Dirt

Flagman Tim Meszaros, Outlook StockCar Track, Saskatchewan. July 16, 2023

Sometimes, in life, we find the most satisfying moments coming from the simplicity of sharing.

This is what I discovered as I made my way through what was a rather unusually difficult year.

After shutting down the blog for most of 2023, I felt the need to search for answers to questions that were beyond my comprehension.  This is where my pilgrimage began, and below are a few shared thoughts and experiences from the journey.

RICHARD ROGERS

Local racing lost a good person in Richard Rogers.  Richie passed away in late December 2022 and in his honour a Celebration of Life was held at the local Eagles Club in St. Norbert.  The January event was well-attended, stories were shared and a few tears were shed.  What I learned most was that Richard was loved by everyone. 

Richard Rogers shared his gifts/talents with others. He was a giving person who asked for very little in return.  In his passing, he gave one more gift.  A group of people, some of whom I had not seen in 15 years, gathered together to pay their respects to a brother in racing.

RENEGADE SPRINTS

Thanks to the efforts of local open wheel racer Eric Guyot, some of the Renegade Non-Wing Sprints paid a visit to Victory Lane Speedway in late August.

Traditional sprint cars have shown growth in this region and it would not be a surprise to see the inclusion of Canadian dates in the future.

If this is to happen down the road, my wish would be for a Victory Lane Speedway (Thursday) to Estevan Motor Speedway (Friday/Saturday) weekend.  If this should become a reality, remember where you heard it first.

DEREK POLLOCK

I had the opportunity to meet and chat with Winnipeg veteran Wissota Pure Stock racer Derek Pollock a couple of times this year.  After 20-plus seasons, his enthusiasm for wheeling a stock car and promoting dirt track racing has not wavered.  When it comes to the racing community, he cares and it shows.

RILEY RAYNARD

Lampman, Saskatchewan's Riley Raynard announced his retirement from racing his IMCA Hobby Stock this year.  Not to be removed from the local racing scene, he traded his steering wheel in for a microphone at Estevan Motor Speedway and is sharing his new talent with the dirt tack racing faithful.

The Southeast Saskatchewan speedway honoured Raynard by renaming their annual Hobby Stock special weekend to Riley Raynard's Dirt Wars.

Riley Raynard, who was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy at the age of 4, continues to be an inspiration.

OUTLOOK STOCKCAR TRACK

I rediscovered the joy and simplicity of dirt track racing in July, and it's name was Outlook Stockcar Track.  Hidden just on the outskirts of Outlook, Saskatchewan, this rural dirt track had all the elements of a fun weekend.  If you like friendly volunteers, wooden bleachers, an entertaining announcer/dj and good concession food then you're in the right place.

The most pleasant surprise to me was how great the track was prepared for midday racing. A handful of Hobby Stocks put on as good of a racing show as almost any dirt track I've been to.  

I enjoyed walking around, visiting with a few folks and taking in the atmosphere of dirt track racing on this sunny, warm weekend.

I've always had an affinity for small towns.  There's a charm and peacefulness about them that the big cities cannot offer.  

The same can be said for these community race tracks, and it all starts with a group of volunteers who care.

TIM MESZAROS

Yorkton, Saskatchewan flagman Tim Meszaros passed away on his way to work Outlook's annual Fall Classic weekend finale on Canada's Thanksgiving weekend. The outpouring of emotions and tributes for this gentleman shows how much he was loved by the Saskatchewan racing community.

DON MCAULEY

Some of Don McAuley's ashes were spread on the surface of Estevan Motor Speedway in July. The former open wheel webmaster and mentor passed away in the summer of 2022. Together with Don's longtime friend, Dale McEwen, we fulfilled a request to honour Don's love of racing this way.  In doing so, it not only offered some closure to the passing of a friend who mentored me as a writer, but I got to know Dale better.

ANTHONY LEEK / LAKE OF THE WOODS SPEEDWAY

I had the opportunity to revisit with Anthony Leek at Kenora's Lake of the Woods Speedway this summer. Anthony is not only a brother in racing, but one of my dearest friends.  From our early days of talking about racing for hours at the local Dairy Queen, to seeing the time and dedication he has put into the growth of the Northwest Ontario dirt track, Anthony continues to be an inspiration.

Lake of the Woods Speedway provides an entertaining racing package for families and people of all ages.  The volunteers who give of their time make the difference to the speedway's Sunday afternoon programs.

DIRT GIVING BACK

As I traveled on this journey there were causes that called to me in a way that I wanted to show support.  

I would be remiss if I didn't include the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum and LAPS4MD.

A simple donation allows the continued work of both groups.  For one, displaying the rich history of sprint car racing,  For the other, fundraising to support research and offering a better quality of life for those diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy.

EPILOGUE OF DIRT

You know...  It seems that no matter where I go, people are welcoming and happy to see me.

I enjoyed returns to Lake of the Woods Speedway and Estevan Motor Speedway in 2023.

This summer's travels to Outlook, Saskatchewan was a smaller scale version of what I experience in Estevan.  

I've been blessed by so much in life and it is occasions like these that bring me much joy.

I didn't come from a racing background. I learned as I went along by meeting and listening to people, paying attention to them and just observing my surroundings.

Some days I wondered if I even belonged.

Yet here I am, 25-plus years later, feeling right at home with this amazing racing community.

Saskatchewan calls to me these days, primarily because these are the people and places I have written about the most for so many years now.

My window is slowly closing and one day I won't be able to travel anymore.  I believe God wants me to be witness to all of these people and places, to see first hand the journey He set me on.

I will always be grateful for the love shown to me.  From my early years, to the heydays with sprint cars, to where I am today, so many people have played a part in my growth in dirt tack racing.

Open wheel racing will always hold a special place with me.  It seems to come and go in cycles in these parts, but when it's on, the excitement level rises.  Having the opportunity to be involved with racing events was a dream come true. These included 410 sprints in Estevan and Winnipeg, the Alberta 360 Sprints in Winnipeg and Swift Current, and the Northern Lightning Sprints in Winnipeg and Morden.

Dirt from the Stands has been silent for over a year now.  Words that would flow like water suddenly became a struggle for me.  I know the moment it happened too.  That part will remain personal.

I can't say for sure if this will be my last blog post or not.  Time will tell, I suppose.  

In the mean time, I still enjoy following the happenings in racing, offering support where I am able and throwing in the occasional suggestion. I look forward to future visits and taking a few pictures during my travels.  You never know where I might turn up.

Wishing you all a blessed holiday season and the very best in the coming year.

Greg