Welcome To Prairie Dirt Writings

Greetings and welcome to Prairie Dirt Writings.
On this blog you will find some of my favorite writings over my 20-plus years of involvement with the dirt track racing community.
Writing is like taking a photograph. It is capturing a moment in time.
These articles, columns, reports and releases are unedited.
I hope you enjoy reading this collection as much as I enjoyed writing them.
- Greg Cybulski

Monday, April 13, 2020

Things I've Noticed, A 2019 Traveling Perspective


Something a little different this time.

While traveling from Winnipeg to destinations West or East and back, I made a few observations which I would like to share.

I constantly hear complaints from people, especially fellow Manitobans, about how flat and boring the province of Saskatchewan is to drive through. I paid special attention to the landscape while driving along the Trans-Canada highway between Saskatchewan and Manitoba this year. I can confirm that there is very little difference between the two provinces.

In fact, I found Manitoba to be more flat and boring a drive than Saskatchewan. If you don't believe me, try driving from Brandon towards Winnipeg and tell me differently.

You're welcome.

The end of racing season also means that the annual grain harvest is in full swing. Maybe it's because of my long-time relationship with the farming community, but I love this time of year. Whether a crop is waiting to be combined, laying in swath or already in stubble, it's beautiful golden colours against the greenery of the countryside is pleasing to see. God Bless the producers who work so hard to help feed us all.

On a similar note, I have an affinity for grain elevators. The prairies are littered with these symbolic structures of our agricultural community and I'm always on the lookout for them.

Ever since I was a youngster, I have always enjoyed watching thunderstorms. Granted, they are not conducive to a night at the speedway. There is, however, something almost poetic about a thunderstorm on the Canadian prairies.

Any weekend that I've driven through the town of Carnduff, Saskatchewan, I always see corralled horses. Upon further investigation, it turns out that Carnduff is big into the Quarter Horse business. It's always fun to see them when we travel along Provincial Highway 18 towards Estevan. You learn something new every day.

Heading in an easterly direction, I had forgotten how nice the drive to Kenora was until this year. The Canadian Shield is an amazing sight and truly one of the more beautiful landscapes of our great country. If it wasn't for Lake of the Woods Speedway, I'm not sure when I would have travelled in an Eastward direction again, but I'll definitely make a return trip sooner than later.

Just when you think you've found the perfect accommodations for your travel needs, another place will appear on your radar that is close in price and just a little bit nicer. Bet on it.

Next up, a few of my favourite things about the 2019 racing season.

Until then race fans, take care and good racing.

For additional Dirt Track Racing, Sprint Car Racing and more, follow @SaskDirtRacing on Twitter.