Welcome To Prairie Dirt Writings

Greetings and welcome to Prairie Dirt Writings.
On this blog you will find some of my favorite writings over my 20-plus years of involvement with the dirt track racing community.
Writing is like taking a photograph. It is capturing a moment in time.
These articles, columns, reports and releases are unedited.
I hope you enjoy reading this collection as much as I enjoyed writing them.
- Greg Cybulski

Monday, April 13, 2020

Dirt By Five, A Brief Look At 20 Years Of Prairie Dirt

Aaron Cybulski photo

It's hard to believe that I've been writing/talking about dirt track racing for 20 years now.

Time sure flies when you're having fun. Like racing itself, no two nights nor seasons are the same. Some years were very busy for yours truly, while some, you hardly read a word.

As I've written in the past, everyone's life journey is different. Each has it's high and low moments.

After reviewing the history of Prairie Dirt, an interesting pattern developed. Some special moments in my dirt track racing life came about in 5 year intervals. By no means, however, does this diminish any of the time in between.

Let's have a quick look and you'll see what I mean.

1999 I started a website entitled NOSAfan's Fan Page. The idea for the page actually came about because a friend in the Hoseheads Chat Room had to build one as part of a project for school. I thought it was a neat idea and decided to try building a webpage also. This was definitely a learning experience by trial and error. Once I had things figured out, I started writing racing anecdotes on my webpage.

2004 Through Minnesota Dirt Track Racing blogger Stan Meisner, I agreed to become a contributing writer for Bernie Hill's Rollcage Dirt Track Racing Magazine. The publication was distributed to race tracks in the Upper Midwest. This was my first experience with print media. Though short-lived, it would not be my last attempt.

Without a doubt, my most memorable moment of 2004 was having helped to promote the first successful sprint car show with Estevan Motor Speedway. 18 cars pitted, packed grandstand and the atmosphere on race night was electric. As I walked through the pits, the feeling I had was euphoric. Winnipeg's Lou Kennedy Jr went on to win the feature that night.

I had many communications with the late Fred Brownfield and former National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum Executive Director Tom Schmeh from November 2003, right up to Race Day. They offered advise and support that was immeasurable.

The day before the event, I was feeling uneasy and emailed Mr. Brownfield. Just like clockwork, he replied with comforting words that set my mind at ease.

Most importantly, this moment started a long-standing relationship with the good folks at Estevan Motor Speedway. A relationship that I have never taken for granted.

2009 This was a breakout year and by far the busiest.

Due to a series of events, the opportunity to promote a 360 sprint car race literally fell in my lap. Through a lot of effort from all parties involved, we successfully promoted the first Alberta Sprint Tour "Prairie Dirt Classic" weekend at Red River Co-op Speedway and Speedy Creek Raceway.

This would also be the final Prairie Dirt Classic of a 3 year run at Swift Current's Speedy Creek Raceway.

Upon returning from that weekend, I was offered and accepted an invitation by NLSA president Darren Pallen to become Director of Media Relations for the Northern Lightning Sprint Association. Darren was very supportive of what I was doing at the time.

Finally, Dirt from the Stands was switched over from a website to the very blog you are reading today.

2014 I took a much-needed break from racing. Following the sudden decline of the Northern Lightning Sprint Association in Manitoba, along with the time and energy put into writing plus added stress, I was burned out.

2019 Like myself, Dirt from the Stands is continually changing. Social Media has partly played a roll in why I am spending more time on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and doing a little less blogging.

Racing teams, speedways, motorsports photographers and fans are all into visual presentation and self-promotion which is fun to see and beneficial to the racing community overall.

At 58 years of age, my priorities are changing as well. As much as I enjoy dirt track racing, it is not the only interest in my life.

This doesn't mean that I'm leaving yet. It just means that things will be done at a more relaxed pace. There are still more tracks to visit, events to witness and friends to see.

God has blessed me with so many good people and opportunities in my life. Believe me when I say that I am thankful for each and every one of them.

Until next time race fans, take care and good racing.

For additional Saskatchewan Dirt Track Racing, Sprint Car Racing and more, follow @SaskDirtRacing on Twitter.